Below are links to frequently asked questions about our mobility programs and services along with their answers. They are organized by category for more convenience. If you cannot find an answer to your question(s) here, please use our feedback form to present your question. We will respond to you soon thereafter as well as post your question and answer here for the benefit of other readers.
What is CTSA?
- CTSA stands for Consolidated Transportation Services Agency. CTSAs are charged with promoting shared resources and minimizing duplicative services in the public transportation arena. It is also charged with expanding services to underserved populations such as seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. Each county transportation authority can designate an agency or organization as it’s CTSA and the Transportation Agency for Monterey County has designated Monterey-Salinas Transit in 2006 as its CTSA.
This website and its accompanying videos are a product of MST’s role as the CTSA.
- I’m going to be 65 soon, will I qualify for the RIDES program then?
Qualifying for the RIDES program is not related to age but rather whether a person’s disability prevents them from using MST’s regular, fixed-route bus service. There is a formal assessment process for RIDES applicants which complies with Federal Transit Administration criteria and is based upon several factors. For details, please contact MST at (888) MST-BUS1 or (888) 678-2871.
- Where can I get additional information about the RIDES program?
You can call a MST Customer Service Representative at 888-MST-BUS1 (1-888-678-2871). If they cannot answer your question directly they will refer you to a Mobility Specialist who can.
- WHAT IS FIXED-ROUTE TRAINING?
MST operates a fleet of buses that run on a fixed route and schedule, known as fixed-route, which are fully accessible to persons with special mobility needs. MST also provides FREE fixed-route training to teach interested persons how to safely and independently ride the fixed-route transportation system.
- HOW WILL IT BENEFIT ME?
Riding the bus enables many to enjoy an independent and active lifestyle otherwise not available to them. It is safe, inexpensive, and reliable.
- HOW DOES IT WORK?
Individuals will work with a professional travel trainer who will help them find solutions that best fit their situation, their abilities and their needs. Training involves a brief classroom session followed by a bus ride(s) accompanied by the travel trainer.
- WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Anyone who desires more mobility and independence is eligible. All we ask is that you make a commitment to show up on time and be prepared to learn and enjoy your new freedom.
- DOES MST OFFER GROUP OUTREACH TRAINING?
Yes, outreach may include a trip on the bus to a destination the group selects.