MST’s New Network
Comprehensive Operational Analysis (COA)
The Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) Board of Directors has approved the Comprehensive Operational Analysis (COA) Final Network Plan as of February 2022. This new network will take effect later in 2022.
What changes are coming?
Bus lines that are more frequent and more direct.
Free, timed transfers for faster local and regional travel.
More people and jobs near transit overall.
A few places would lose service.
Peninsula, Seaside, Marina, and Salinas Network Plan
Regional Network Plan
Other Maps and Documents
How did MST decide on these changes?
Over the course of a full year, MST worked with over 80 stakeholders and community organizations to seek input and re-design the network. Early in the process, MST conducted a telephone survey with members of the general public, held focus groups with actual MST riders, and developed a Choices Report to outline the vision from the community. The public was given opportunities to comment throughout the process and at various community meetings. After hearing all the input, the MST Board of Directors directed staff and consultants to redesign the network to focus a little more on ridership and a little less on coverage and to prioritize the travel needs of people in low-income communities.
Three Funding Scenarios
The Final Network Plan is based on MST’s best estimate of future financial and human resources, but some uncertainty remains coming out of the pandemic. The plan includes three scenarios to help deal with this reality.
- The Medium Scenario matches MST’s budget and workforce targets for FY 2022-2023. This scenario is the primary target for implementation.
- The Low Scenario assumes that either MST’s financial resources are lower than expected, or that insufficient workforce is available to operate at full capacity.
- The High Scenario– assumes that MST’s financial resources are higher than expected, either because voters pass a new sales tax including 1/8-cent for service increases, or due to another similarly-sized new source of funding.
What happens next?
MST Staff will begin implementing the COA Final Network Plan later in 2022. The general public will be notified of these changes through the standard service change notification process (press release, onboard advertisements, and social media). MST will also work with the stakeholders that were involved in the redesign process to get the word out through other media. Implementation of the COA Final Network Plan will be a phased approach, contingent on several factors including installation of infrastructure (bus stops, etc.), staffing availability, while ensuring route safety.
Riders may direct route questions to MST Customer Service by calling 1-888-MST-BUS1 or by filling out a Customer Service Report online.
Presentations and Meetings
December 13, 2021 Board Operations and Performance Committee
October 13, 2021 Community Meeting Presentation and Q&A
August 16, 2021 Board Operations Performance Committee
June 7, 2021 Community Meeting on Choices Report
- Community Meeting Slide Deck
- Community Meeting Slide Deck (Español)
- Community Meeting Video Recording
- Community Meeting Video Recording (Español)
May 27, 2021
May 8, 2021