FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
10 August 2016
MST TO SELL DEEPLY-DISCOUNTED MONTHLY PASS BEGINNING AUGUST 15
DURING HOLMAN HIGHWAY 68 ROUNDABOUT CONSTRUCTION
If your commute could be affected by the upcoming Holman Highway 68 Roundabout construction, try taking the bus!
“The more people that ride the bus, the less traffic congestion will be an issue during construction. We’ll be better able to keep the traffic flowing on local roads and provide new and existing bus riders with the opportunity to save nearly $1,000 over the duration of the construction period” said Hunter Harvath, assistant general manager for finance & administration.
To that end, Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) will sell its 31-Day Basic GoPass for only $13 ($6.50 discount for individuals 18 years and under, 65 years and older, with disabilities, Medicare Card holders, and veterans), beginning August 15. The pass, which is regularly $95 ($47 discount), is a fantastic deal.
The special pricing was approved at the April meeting of the MST board of directors under the Congestion Relief Temporary Pass program. The deeply-discounted pass will be made available to help alleviate the congestion that is expected to result from the construction, and to encourage those who otherwise may not regularly ride public transit to try it during periods of major congestion.
“It’s our way of helping out the community, and especially hospitality workers, whose hotels, restaurants and shops will be located in the heart of the congested areas of the Peninsula,” said Harvath.
Reduced pricing will be made available for those who live or work in the following areas:
- Big Sur (93920)
- Carmel (93921, 93922 & 93923)
- Carmel Valley (93924)
- Monterey, west of Sloat Avenue and north of HWY 1 (93940)
- Pacific Grove (93950)
- Pebble Beach (93953)
Proof of residency (e.g. driver’s license, state ID card, utility bill) or work site (e.g. current pay stub) must be shown to qualify for the discounted pricing.
The reduced price pass will only be available by visiting MST customer service locations at:
- MST Bus Stop Shop in Monterey, adjacent to the Monterey Transit Plaza (201 Pearl Ave)
- Marina Transit Exchange a (280 Reservation Road)
- Salinas Transit Center (110 Salinas Street)
Park and Ride:
- Park in the City of Monterey Parking East Garage for a reduced fee during construction and ride MST’s JAZZ service to New Monterey and Cannery Row, Lines 1 or 2 to Pacific Grove, or Line 21 to Pebble Beach. Reduced price parking passes are available by visiting the City’s Parking Division at 340 Tyler Street or online at www.monterey.org.
For more information, visit www.mst.org or call Monterey-Salinas Transit toll free at 1-888-MST-BUS1. Follow MST on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mst_bus for the latest service alerts that may occur during the construction period.
For more information about the Holman Highway 68 Roundabout construction project, please visit www.tamcmonterey.org.